Sunday, October 9, 2011

Where is the love?

So, I've been reading about Alabama's new immigration law and how it has illegal and legal immigrants alike running around scared to death. In the most recent stories surfacing around this new law are the stories of illegal immigrants who are giving custodial power of their children to American citizen neighbors and friends should they be deported to Mexico.

I don't really want to get into the big debate on immigration because I don't think that's the real issue here. I want to talk about the kids. I can't imagine what they must be feeling. I would hate for my kids to worry that mommy and daddy might not come home when they go out for groceries or that they might have to go live with our neighbors. It must be terrifying for them.

And what about these neighbors and friends who say, "Yes, I'll take care of your kid, raise them like they were my own, and make sure they get the best education possible." What an amazing act of love to show to people who feel so un-loved. I imagine that act speaks louder then any words uttered by a politician.

What really disturbs me are the comments people make about these stories. I don't know where all this hate comes from. One comment read, "we should kick out the Americans who are taking their children too!". Really? Should we kick out every American who takes in a child from a different country? 

What made us so hateful? When did it become a despicable thing to take in your neighbors kids and give them the best future possible? I'm sad that people actually think this way.

I pray that Christians aren't sending out this message. I hope that we are the ones taking in these children. I hope that we are helping our neighbors become legal residents. I hope we're showing people what love really is. I hope...

No comments:

Post a Comment