Monday, May 9, 2011

Things I never thought I'd say

It's funny how life changes when you have kids. Today I told my daughter "please stop punching mommy in the throat". When she didn't listen and was instead put down in her crib for a nap, I thought to myself 'now that's a sentence I never thought I'd say.' This goes along with "please take the fig out of your nose", "stop eating the ladybugs" and "how did you get Cheerios in your diaper?".

The books don't tell you about the trials of prying dandelions out of your kids' mouth or how the number one thing to look for in baby furniture is how easily it can be cleaned after your kid poops all over over it. These are the things you learn along the way. Nothing can prepare you for it and no one can give you a strong enough warning about it because when people tell you these things when you don't have kids you think to yourself 'well my kid won't act like THAT... I'll know how to handle it.' And just so you know, when you suffer through these funny little trials after we've warned you, a part of us is laughing at you when you say, "I never thought it would be this hard!" It's like when you go out to eat and the server tells you, "be careful, that plate is hot" and you touch is and say "Ouch! That's a hot plate!" Well, of course it is you dummy!

Anyways, I digress. I just think it's funny that having children makes your life so totally unpredictable. I never thought I'd tell my child to 'please stop eating the wood chips', but I've totally said that... more than once. Maybe we'll survive the crazy, ever changing lifestyle of the Navy after all. It can't be any more unpredictable than the adventures we go through with our children. Right??? BTW, it appears that we are now going to San Diego rather than Okinawa... funny huh?

4 comments:

  1. Well in addition to Little twerps,
    How about, "Stop eating Kodi's food" the dog
    or "No singing at the table" that was actually a rule in our house growing up & when Tj & I first got married he always laughed at that rule & would make comments about it.
    Now we both hear ourselves repeating the same thing almost every dinner time..."KIDS! NO SINGING AT THE TABLE"
    too many more for this little comment box :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't have said it Better, Myself! You live and you Learn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tell my daughters that If they don't behave, They will go see god early. Once I sat down and thought about it, How creepy can a mom BE. :) I definitely don't say that anymore and I think its because they know Its an empty threat and I knew it was all along but I was hoping they didn't. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. here's a few i wrote down:
    we don't bite buttons, let go!
    we do not pretend to whine. because i said so!
    get the chair off the couch! get the chair off the couch now! because i said so. i don't want the chair. get it off now!
    i know but we don't put our mouths on things that are for sale.
    stop, don't put your toe in your mouth, you have marker all over your toe.
    haha! :) michelle

    ReplyDelete