Friday, August 19, 2011

That's pretty cool.

After 12 long weeks, my hubby is finally home and we get to start our new journey in the Navy! On Monday morning a the oh so early, 4 am (...ugh) we begin our trek across the country to San Diego. It should be pretty interesting with a newborn and an 18 month old.

Anyway, the cool thing that I wanted to share with everyone was something that happened to my husband while at training in Fort Jackson. As you all know, he was out on manoeuvres when our son was born. We were able to talk to him briefly after the little one was born, but that was it until the end of the week. It was kind of a baptism by fire for military life.

In the Navy they give out coins for different ceremonial occasions, excellence, etc. For example, the hubs got a cool looking coin when he was commissioned. Well, after the baby arrived on the scene the Commanding Officer at Fort Jackson awarded Bryan with a coin for excellence for the services he gave while his son was being born. It is a really cool way to recognize the sacrifice sailors make for their country.

But the hubs wouldn't tell me why he received the coin until her got home. He got home in the middle of the night, but the next day he dug the coin out of his bag and told me why he was awarded the coin and then he gave it to me. He said he was really proud of me and thought I deserved it more than he did. And although I am sure that's not true (he really deserves it), I was extremely humbled by the gesture. It was way better than flowers. It was even better than chocolate (and THAT is saying something!).


So that is the story of how I have acquired my first Navy coin, even though I'm not in the Navy. Pretty cool, huh?


2 comments: