Sunday, June 12, 2011

Amanda versus the loneliness

So my husband has only officially been in the Navy for a few weeks. He's been at officer training school for almost a month and I am slowly figuring out this whole Navy wife life thing. Thus far, this is what I have learned:

#1: It is really hard to be the only parent. I don't know how single parents do this all the time. I'm so glad that I only have to be away from my husband for a short period of time. And even in the future when he will face deployment, I will know that he'll come home at some point. The single parents who do this day in and day out without any respite are my heroes. And I have lots of help too. I have a great church and an amazingly supportive family to help me. So many people don't have that. I'm guessing a lot of military families don't have that. I hope that I can be of help in that arena at some point in this ministry.

#2: Technology is a life saver. My hubby video taped himself reading books and singing songs for our daughter before he left and they have been invaluable! She looks forward to her song from daddy every morning. And the nights he's able to video chat with us makes life more bearable.

#3: Nothing helps me sleep. I wish I could take some magic pills to fall asleep but they kind of frown on that when you're pregnant. As much as I complained about my husband's snoring and kicking, I now find myself unable to fall asleep easily without him beside me. Go figure.

#4: I'm really proud of the man I married. I've made a lot of stupid decisions in my life time. Like that time in 3rd grade when I thought it would be a good idea to get a perm... it wasn't. But one of the best decisions I've ever made was choosing to marry my husband. Despite being away from his family while his wife is in her 3rd trimester and not being able to spend any time with his unbelievably cute daughter, my husband is concerned about the men and women he's with at training. He's been working to build relationships and has encouraged some to make better decisions for their life. And when he sees people making destructive decisions, it breaks his heart. It's the quality that has always made him a good friend and the reason I knew he would be an excellent Chaplain. I love that I married this man. There are not many of his kind around.

#5: And finally, in my lonely, sleepless nights I've learned that the show "Chuck" is one of the best around. Seriously, I'm madly addicted to it. If you haven't watched it yet, you should. Adam Baldwin is my hero. If you're already a "Chuck" fan, you understand my title and we are officially best friends.

1 comment:

  1. I love you, dear sister! With so many thoughts in my head, I will say this: I'll have to start watching "Chuck" after the wedding is over, and I have more time. Thanks for the tip. :)

    ReplyDelete